I’ve tried a few versions of cauliflower mashed ‘potatoes’ that taste nothing like the real thing. They were always really watery and not reminiscent of creamy garlicky mashed potatoes. I set the idea of this dish aside up until recently, when I had a whole head of cauliflower that I didn’t know what to do with. I had made enough of my delicious cauliflower pizza and was ready to use the veggie in another way. So, I decided to attempt the recipe myself with the intention of making it creamier without added dairy. The secret ingredient to the added creaminess without added fat or unwanted flavour is white beans. Not only do they add great protein, but they add a thickness and creaminess that is normally lacking from cauliflower. I love this recipe for the summer as it’s lighter than traditional sides and it has so much flavour! It goes really well with fish, meat and tofu.
• 1 head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
• 2 tsp olive oil or ghee
• 1 french shallot, sliced
• 1 1/2 tsp garlic, chopped
• 1 1/2 cups white beans (rinse well if using canned)
• salt and pepper to taste
• good quality extra virgin olive oil for garnish
1. Steam cauliflower until tender.
2. In a small pan, heat ghee or olive oil over medium heat. Sauté shallot with a good pinch of salt until soft, then add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
3. Into a food processor or high powered blender, add cauliflower, onion, garlic and all of the oil. Blend until creamy. Add beans and blend again until no lumps remain. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve with a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil and extra pinch of pepper!