Lots of you have been asking for easy make ahead options for lunch and dinner. Meal prepping on a Sunday is always a great idea, and this chicken salad is a great filling protein to add to any vegetable salad, sweet potato or sandwich. I even love it with some baked squash and steamed broccoli! If chicken isn’t your thing, try it with fork mashed chickpeas!
Another great tip… if you want to skip out on poaching your own chicken, make use of leftover roasted chicken or chicken from making stock. Another quick weeknight tip, buy a rotisserie chicken from your favourite store. I do find the chicken salad tastes best after the flavours have marinated in the fridge overnight!
• 2 tbsp avocado oil mayonnaise, I like Chosen Foods brand
• 1 tbsp yellow or dijon mustard
• juice of 1 lemon
• 2 celery stalks, 1/4 inch dice (about 1/4 cup)
• 3 scallions, finely chopped (about 3 tbsp)
• 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
• 3 tbsp kosher dill pickle, finely chopped
• salt and pepper, to taste
• Cooked chicken
Poached Chicken Ingredients:
• 4 skinless boneless organic chicken breasts
• 1 lemon sliced
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
• 1 bay leaf
• 4 peppercorns
• 1 small yellow onion, sliced
• 10 sprigs fresh dill
• broth or water to cover
1. In a sauce pan add all ingredients for your poached chicken. Cover either with broth or water until there is liquid at least 1/2 inch above the ingredients. Bring to a boil then cover and lower heat to a simmer. Poach the chicken for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove pan from the heat, uncover and allow to cool in the pot for 25-30 minutes. Once cooled, pull the chicken with your fingers or a fork.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together mayo, mustard, and lemon juice until combined. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix in your pulled chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. For a tangier chicken salad add more mustard and lemon juice. For a more fresh flavour add more dill.
• Over a vegetable salad with a balsamic vinaigrette
• Romaine leaves, hummus, avocado and extra mustard
• Inside a baked sweet potato with steamed kale
• With coleslaw, crackers, and cut up vegetables
• Make a sandwich using my healthiest bread ever, with a side salad