There has been so much amazing action on Instagram lately and I’ve been loving all of your feedback. This recipe was requested by you! It is one of my weeknight go-to’s. I’ve been loving having a few vegan recipes to quickly put together throughout the week. You can prepare all of the components over the weekend and utilize them in different ways throughout the week. Feel free to use your favourite veg or even switch up a different bean-the possibilities are endless! For the base of this recipe I use the crispy cauliflower brown rice that I posted last week. I make a big batch and eat it throughout the week (FYI quite delicious with fried eggs over top!). Remember that healthy eating doesn’t need to be expensive, difficult or confusing. Buy real food and spend a few hours preparing and you’re set.
• 1 tbsp sesame oil or avocado oil
• 1/2 red onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
• 2 bell peppers, sliced
• 1 zucchini, sliced
• 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
• 1 cup broccoli, chopped
• 3 cups cooked brown lentils (1 cup dry if cooking from scratch)
• 1 batch of Crispy Cauliflower Brown Rice
• 2 scallions thinly sliced (whites only)
• 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
• lime wedges (for serving)
• 1/2 cup cashew butter (peanut or almond butter works well too!)
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 1/4 cup rice vinegar
• 3 tbsp reduced sodium gluten free tamari
• 3 tbsp sambal oelek or sriracha
• 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
• juice of 1 lime
• 3 tbsp of water
1. If you are cooking your own lentils, put them on the stove first. While they are cooking, heat 1 tbsp of desired oil into a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Cook red onion until they soften, season with salt and add peppers. Cook for another 5 minutes.
2. Once peppers have softened, add zucchini and cook until they begin to slightly brown. Add red cabbage and allow to soften (about 6-7 minutes). Add your broccoli, stir, and turn heat to low.
3. For the sauce, add all ingredients to blender and continue to pulse until smooth.
4. Time to assemble! Add your cauliflower brown rice to a bowl, top with veggies, lentils, scallions and pumpkin seeds. Serve with the spicy cashew sauce and lime wedges.