Smoothies and juices are such a delicious and refreshing way to start your day. In these cold Canadian winters however, I always want to eat my breakfast rather than drink it. I introduce to you, the smoothie bowl. When making smoothies I always would top it with coconut, seeds, nuts, granola or oats for a little added texture. So why not put this same combination in a bowl? The key to a great smoothie bowl is making sure the smoothie is thick and not watery. Some ways to thicken your smoothies is by adding chia, frozen banana and avocado (swear you don’t taste it!). With enough frozen bananas, it can even seem like you are having ice cream for breakfast but without the guilt.
Ill be sharing many posts about my favourite juice and smoothie combinations but this one right here is one of my favourites. The combination of ginger and cinnamon with the creamy texture of the blended banana is so warming and comforting. It is also PACKED with ingredients that fuel your body to reach its maximum operating potential. I topped mine with hemp, chia, sunflower seeds, almond butter, strawberry and sliced banana. The smoothie ingredients include frozen banana, acai, spirulina, kale and cucumber. So why add all these fancy sounding ingredients, you ask?
– contain all essential amino acids (energy)
– protein (full, satisfied)
– omega-3 (joint, skin, brain and heart health)
– omega-6 (goddess hair, skin, nails)
– magnesium (energy, bowl movements)
– vitamin E (anti-aging)
– antioxidants (fights free radicals that cause cancer)
– protein (more than an egg…shocked? I know)
– low glycemic
– plant protein (feel full for long periods of time)
– essential amino acids
– chlorophyll (remove toxins, alkalize)
– calcium (strong bones, teeth)
I talk about benefits of kale and chia in the chia pudding and kale salad posts. Oh! Cinnamon also helps to regulate your blood sugar and boost memory. Ginger helps improve digestion, fight nausea and suppress hunger.
Have a wild night of drinking? Eat lots of poutine (bonjour Quebec!), pizza or chinese food yesterday? Do your body good and make this smoothie! I guarantee this will cure your alcohol/food hangover. You will feel and look like a goddess or a god for all you healthy men out there!
• 1 frozen banana (add more for thicker consistency) plus fresh for topping
• 1 cup strawberries
• 1 heaped tablespoon of acai powder
• 1 handful of kale
• 1 inch piece of ginger peeled
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 cup almond milk
• 3/4 cup cucumber
• 1 tsp almond butter
• 1 tsp pumplin seeds
• 1 tsp chia
• 1 tsp hemp
• 1 tsp spirulina
• few drops stevia or sweetener of choice
1. Blend all ingredients except for hemp, pumpkin seeds, some strawberry and fresh banana.
2. Pour smoothie into bowl and top with banana, pumpkin seeds, strawberry and banana.
[…] Ginger Cinnamon Acai Smoothie Bowl […]