Oatmeal or porridge is one of my favourite winter breakfasts. For those of you out there following the Paleo diet or low carb diets, breakfast is probably the least versatile meal. My dad religiously watches his carbs and he has the same two fried eggs morning after morning. For a breakfast lover such as myself, I actually find it difficult watching him have the same boring eggs everyday. He doesn’t seem to mind but I knew there had to be another way! Here came Paleo porridge. A low carb rendition of the ever so popular oatmeal. Made up of ground almonds, coconut and flax seeds this breakfast is sure to fill up your anti-wheat belly and give you a boost of healthy omega-3s, fibre and protein. Did I also mention that this breakfast is grain-free, gluten-free, sugar-free and vegan? Well, now you know.This breakfast is so simple to put together and will be sure to satisfy the comfort food craving you grain-free followers have been longing for. This Clean Eating Goldilocks sure would be fooled by this bowl porridge! (LOL)
• 3 tbsp ground almonds
• 1 tbsp coconut flour (optional)
• 2 tbsp flax seeds
• 3 drops stevia (or to taste)
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• pinch of salt
• 1/4 almond milk (or to desired consistency)
• almonds, cashews or nut of choice
• mixed berries and coconut flakes (for low GI followers)or banana, dates, kiwi (whatever fruit you desire) for the rest of us!
1. Combine all ingredients except for nuts and fruit. Warm in a pot for 2 minutes (or in the microwave).
2. Top with remaining ingredients!