Happy Cinco de Mayo! Avocado, chocolate, cayenne… sounds a lot like Mexico doesn’t it? Believe it or not, this combination also makes the perfect clean brownie. No refined sugar. No gluten. No grain. No dairy. No added oil. I swear they were more moist than any other brownie I’ve had! They are so delicious and rich they would fool any adult and child alike. These brownies are packed with antioxidants, fibre, protein and good-for-you fats… oh and they taste like heaven. Its all thanks to their secret ingredient… avocado. Yes I said it, avocado in brownies. Avocado gives these brownies a fudgy texture that makes your tastebuds very happy, while keeping you glowing. With the addition of cacao, dark chocolate and vanilla, you would never know avo was in there.
In light of Cinco de Mayo I had to add a little spice (my favourite). But… no Franks Red Hot this time (sigh). Cayenne or chipotle pepper are what you want to add here. Chipotle and/or cayenne adds a perfect back note of heat that comes on slowly. After you take your first bite and swallow… thats when it will hit you. Much like coffee, spice really helps to bring out the flavour of chocolate. Feel free to leave this ingredient out, but for Cinco de Mayo… I think you need to have a little in there.
I know you guys are all going to fall in love these brownies. Whether you make them for Cinco de Mayo or just for a special chocolatey treat, you really don’t need to feel any guilt here. After you have this once, you will feel no need to ever eat those boring ol’ refined filled brownies AGAIN! Magnesium, fiber, protein and essentials vitamins make these brownies superfood powerhouses! Wooohoo! Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!
ps. Giving advance warning that the batter is beyond addictive. There is raw egg in it so don’t eat a lot. (Even though I did.. whoops)
• 2 very ripe avocados
• 1/2 cup cacao
• 1/2 cup mexican chocolate or 70% chocolate (I like Purelife allergy friendly variety)
• 1/2 cup almond flour
• 1 cup pure maple syrup
• 3 eggs
• 1 tbsp flax
• 3 tbsp almond milk
• 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp sea or himalayan salt
• 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
• 1/2 tsp chipotle or cayenne pepper (or to taste)
• 1/2 tsp paprika (for garnish,can omit)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Using an electric mixer (I did it by hand, but if you don’t want to get too tired use a mixer), whip the eggs, flax, almond milk and the maple syrup until fluffy.
2. Melt the chocolate chips using a double boiler or in a microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between (chocolate can burn easily).
3. With the mixer on low, add the melted chocolate and cacao.
4. Using a spatula, mix in the almond meal, baking powder, salt, cayenne and vanilla extract.
5. Using a blender or food processor, mix avocado until very smooth.
6. Fold the avocado into the batter.
7. Pour into an 8×8 parchment lined baking pan for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Sprinkle paprika for garnish (can omit this step).