If you love mounds, you’ll absoloutly love this chocolate coconut torte. If you have been eating clean you might have found one of the most difficult areas to satisfy is that sweet tooth. After so many chia pudding combinations, or super creamy banana ‘ice cream sundaes’ you one day might say f*** it, I want a real dessert.
I hear people say that a lot. I don’t just want fruit, I want a real dessert. The irony is, those so called real desserts are made up of so much fakeness that you’d be ready for a nap after reading the ingredients (if you can even pronounce it). Even if you don’t want to go the gluten and dairy free route… I beg you to buy real. Go to your local farmer or market and buy fresh eggs, cream and butter. When there is an entire brand that is named ” I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” don’t you want to ask.. well then, what the eff is it? Let me enlighten you on what it is…Water, Liquid Soybean Oil, Salt, Sweet Cream Buttermilk, Xanthan Gum, Soy Lecithin, Polysorbate 60, Lactic Acid, (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Calcium Disodium EDTA) as Preservatives, Artificial Flavor, Colored with Beta Carotene, Vitamin A (Palmitate).
Sooooo delicious right? And what is evil butter made of? Milk. Im not saying to eat a stick of butter. It is full of milk fat. But if it comes down to you choosing between that fat free butter spray or a pat of butter… choose the butter. Just do so in moderation. Much more on this later…
Back to the torte… I am glad to say that you don’t need to ‘fall off the wagon’ or suffer to enjoy a real, restaurant quality dessert. Full of healthy fats and antioxidants you would never think a dairy free dessert could be so rich and creamy. I promise you that even if you think you are the WORST baker in the world, this torte is foolproof. Make it as a decadent passover addition or for an impressive dessert for guests, all made in 30 minutes or less. You can even make it the night before! No one will ever know it is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free. Top with hazelnuts and coconut flakes or even fresh raspberries, the possibilities are endless. You and your guests will be left satisfied and feeling guilt and tummy-ache free. Bon appetit!
• 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
• 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
• 2 large egg whites
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• pinch of salt
• 12 ounces chopped 70% cocoa chocolate (I like Purelife dairy/gluten free chocolate)
• 1 cup coconut cream (remove water from coconut milk – best from a can)
• toasted hazelnuts
• unsweetened coconut flakes
• ** or berries, other nuts or coconut whipped cream!
• pinch of sea salt
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• Coat a 9-inch tart pan with coconut oil cooking spray.
• Combine all crust ingredients in a mixing bowl and then press into tart pan using the bottom of a measuring cup.
• Bake crust for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
• While the crust is baking get started on the filling. On a double boiler melt the chocolate and coconut cream until combined. Place in a bowl and leave in the fridge to cool down and become thicker (30-40 minutes).
• Remove the crust and let it cool. Pour cooled chocolate into crust, top with remaining ingredients (don’t forget the sea salt!) and let set in the fridge for at least two hours. Serve cold or at room temperature… you might need a glass of almond milk for this one!