So many variations of granola have come around (like my quinoa granola) but nothing really compares to the classic. Something about the combination of the crunchy oats and fragrant nuts just warms your soul any time of year. Like I previously mentioned in my last granola post, most granolas from the grocery stores have added chemicals, refined sugars and oils to make a really average tasting product.
If you don’t have a lot of time in the morning, this is a nourishing breakfast that can be brought in a container or baggy. Its also a great alternative to sugary breakfast cereals kids are starting their day with. Take for example Harvest Crunch. From reading the cover, most parents would think they are giving their children a fantastic nourishing breakfast. The box says that it’s full of fibre, has 100% whole grains and is made using ‘natural’ flavours. So why did they need to add the wheat, brown sugar, barley, modified milk ingredients and sunflower/canola oil? To make an awesome tasting granola all you need is a combination of oats, fat and sweetness, so choose the right kinds! I use certified gluten-free oats, maple syrup and coconut oil as a base. Then the flavour combinations are endless… add almond or coconut extract. Add peanut butter! What about raisins and cinnamon? You can be your own granola god or goddess…ps. this also makes a really beautiful and thoughtful gift!
We all have an extra 45 minutes when we are doing useless sh*t. Instead of surfing the web, flipping tv channels or texting; use those 45 minutes to make some fresh granola. Your house will smell amazing and your body and tastebuds will thank you. Feel free to add different nuts, dried fruit or extra superfoods such as chia, flax or buckwheat. Top on coconut yogurt, smoothies or have it straight out of the container by the handful (warning: you won’t be able to stop). I had mine with warmed vanilla almond milk, chia and a fresh pear. As always this recipe is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free (and vegan)! Bon appetit!
• 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted) *avocado oil works well too!
• 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 4 cups certified g-free oats (or large flake oats for those who aren’t g-free)
• 1 1/2 cups raw nuts and/or seeds (I like almonds, pecans, cashews, sesame seeds and hazelnuts)
• 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
• 1 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp sea or pink himalayan salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and vanilla until combined.
3. Add oats, coconut flakes, nuts, cinnamon, and salt and stir until combined.
4. Spread granola evenly on baking sheet.
5. Bake for 35-45 minutes depending on your oven. Stir every 10 minutes. Remove when golden brown. Let cool and add any dried fruit you like! Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.