With fall just around the corner, I have been working on making warming meals featuring some of my favourite fall ingredients. Although summer is an amazing break from our freezing, sometimes miserable winters here in Montreal, fall will always be my absolute favourite season. There is nothing more comforting then being in an oversized sweater (I have a slight addiction to buying these), with a warm cup of tea watching those beautiful multicoloured leaves fall.
When those crisp temperatures begin in September, we all crave more comforting, warming meals that feature hearty ingredients and bold spices. Cinnamon is definitely my favourite fall spice that I use year round. Besides for making dishes taste amazing, cinnamon has so many amazing benefits some of which include controlling blood sugar levels and warding off hunger.
So to ease us into the season, I have made these super light muffins that are lower in fat but full of fiber, protein and whole grains. I have been able to reduce the fat content by replacing oil with apple butter. If you’ve never heard of it, apple butter is a highly concentrated form of apple sauce made by a slow cooking process where apples are cooked to a point where the sugar in the apples caramelizes creating a deep rich brown colour. It is extremely flavourful and adds intense moisture to baked goods! I bought apple butter at a regular grocery store where they have the natural nut butters, honey, maple syrup etc.. You can also make this yourself at home!
These muffins are packed with oats, chunks of apples and crunchy pieces of walnuts. An extra sprinkle of cinnamon and coconut sugar gives these muffins a crunchy topping that goes amazing with a cup of coffee in the morning! These Apple Cinnamon Walnut Muffins are an amazing grab and go breakfast that the whole family can enjoy. These also are perfect with a little spread of Chia Jam or Roasted Cinnamon Maple Almond Butter on top. As always these muffins are gluten, dairy and refined sugar free. Bon Appetit!
• 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
• 1 cup oat flour
• 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
• 1 cup diced and peeled apples (preferably organic)
• 2 tsp cinnamon (divided)
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 3 tbsp coconut or light olive oil (melted)
• 1 cup almond milk (or non dairy milk of choice)
• 1/2 cup apple butter or unsweetened apple sauce
• 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
• 2 tbsp coconut sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375.Line muffin tins with parchment and grease with coconut oil.
2. In a large bowl, mix oat flour, oats, 1 tsp cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together apple butter, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, eggs and almond milk.
4. Slowly add wet ingredients into dry until combined. Then, mix in diced apples and walnuts.
5. Pour batter into muffin liners. In a small bowl mix together the remaining 1 tsp cinnamon and the 2 tbsp coconut sugar. Sprinkle over the tops of the muffins.
6. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and enjoy!