Lots of you have been asking for my vegetable soup recipe after posting it many times on my Instagram story. During the winter months, I make this soup probably every two weeks at least. During the colder months, I find it harder to get all my veggies in, because I don’t crave salads as much. I love making a soup that packs as many vegetables as possible. I basically end up with more of a stew than a soup because my veggie to broth ratio is always completely off! What I love most about this soup is that it really can be altered anyway you like. You can add or remove ingredients without changing the taste. The key is knowing when to add in the veggies so nothing turns into complete mush. Remember you can always add beans, quinoa, rice or even tofu to add extra protein and fibre. Hope you love it!
• 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 yellow onion (diced)
• 3 cloves garlic (minced)
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 4 carrots (diced)
• 4 celery stalks (diced)
• 2 sweet potatoes (diced)
• 3 quarts organic low sodium chicken or veg stock, homemade is best
• 1/2 green cabbage (shredded)
• 2 cups brussels sprouts (chopped)
• 2 cups green beans (chopped, 1/2 inch)
• 1 cup cauliflower (chopped)
• 2 zucchini (diced)
• 1 cup broccoli (chopped, can also throw in stems!)
• 1 cup fresh spinach
• 1/4 cup fresh dill (minced)
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley (minced)
• salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Sweat onion for 5 minutes then add garlic, salt and oregano. Stir for 30 seconds.
2. Add carrots, celery and sweet potato. Cook for another 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low, add cabbage, brussels sprouts and green beans. Cover and allow to cook for 7 minutes.
5. Add cauliflower and zucchini, cook for another 3 minutes. Check to see that the carrots and sweet potato are cooked through, then turn off heat.
6. With heat turned off, add broccoli, fresh spinach, dill, and parsley. Taste and season to your liking.
This is such perfect timing! The whole family is down with a pesky cold and soup is exactly what the doctor ordered.
jen udashkin says
Oh I’m so glad! everyone seems to be sick these days… hope you all feel better soon! Soup helps!
Renee Pearl says
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You inspired me to make this soup today albeit with minor vegetable additions/deletions. Delish and smells sooo good! I made so much that I now have a freezer full of healthy soup for future meals. It’s great!
jen udashkin says
Renee! So happy you loved it!! Thanks for writing in xoxo